Volume 5 of the Children Act Regulations and Guidance provides guidance to local authorities in England and their staff, about their functions under Parts 3 and 6-8 of the Children Act 1989. It is issued as guidance under section 7 of the Local Authority Social Services Act 1970 which requires local authorities in exercising their social services functions, to act under the general guidance of the Secretary of State. Local authorities should comply with this guidance when exercising these functions, unless local circumstances indicate exceptional reasons that justify a variation.
This guidance is addressed to:
- children’s services social workers;
- frontline managers with particular responsibilities in relation to looked after children;
- lead members in local authorities;
- directors of children’s services;
- managers of services for looked after children;
- commissioners of services for looked after children;
- virtual head teachers, independent reviewing officers (IROs) and other professionals with responsibilities in relation to looked after children.
It will also be relevant to:
- children’s services partner agencies as set out under section 10 of the Children Act 2004;
- registered providers and managers of children’s residential care, including private, voluntary and public sector providers;
- children who are in residential care and their families.